Saturday, September 24, 2011

SBMS goes into the community to learn



Last week I spent three days presenting my "Sight Beyond My Sight" (SBMS) methodology to a Liberian ethnic group. I am here testing SBMS to see if it is a viable tool for understanding people and their cultures through photography. It was a tremendous experience.

Below please observe some of the photographs the participants made while testing the cameras. Only one participant had ever used a camera. These photographs are not apart of the research but do offer a glimpse into how these people see the world.

Amos shows a photo of two of the community members.
Andrew photographs a reflective instructor (me) as he listens to a question from one of the participants.
Andrews takes the view into the community.

Communication

Olenson shows two students standing in the doorway of the church as the senior pastor of the African Independent Church takes a break.

Olenson photographs a participant as he shares a folktale.

Family portrait!

Trees provide shade for a water well as community members walk through the village.  One community member comments sanitation issues are a major concern, but they do have clean water.

1 comment:

Tina Bryson said...

WOW. I am still truly amazed by what you are doing! This is AWESOME! God is really blessing. On a personal note, are you checking email while you are away? If so, drop me a message...I have two updates for you.