Monday, October 17, 2011

Remembering a budding photographer


On last week I sent a note requesting prayer for Mitchell Roye, a young photographer I was mentoring here in Liberia. He was involved in an auto accident where the driver lost control of the taxi in which he was riding.  Sadly, I received word earlier today that Mitchell died over the weekend.  While I am sure his passing is a tremendous loss for his family and the newspaper, I pray that his legacy in photography and his passion for photographing life will offer some comfort. 

In a bit of irony, in September following an assignment where we were both exhausted, I stopped in the first open building to take a rest.  Unbeknownst to us it was a casket making company.  As we sat watching the crowd passing, drinking water and talking, Mitchell shared how he was uncomfortable sitting in the casket making company. We briefly talked about a life in Christ and watched the two young boys continue making the wood caskets.  Before leaving he joked, “Those caskets are very expensive, thank God I don’t need one.” 

Mitchells’ untimely death is a keen reminder that none of us knows when its time to go.  Today, hug someone important to you, share a kind word with someone you have been unpleasant to, and ask Jesus to come into your heart if you have not.  





No comments: